Kick up your Thanksgiving table with this flavorful smoked turkey breast. Flavored with a spicy seasoning blend, this turkey is tender and juicy! The recipe includes directions on how to smoke a turkey breast and make a flavorful pan gravy.
- 3 tablespoons softened Butter, Olive Oil, or Ghee
- 1 tablespoon Seasoning - Cajun Spice, Huck's Rub, or Rib Dry Rub
- 4-6 pound Bone-in Turkey Breast
- Preheat the smoker to 250 degrees. See notes below for recommendations on woods to use.
- Remove the turkey from the refrigerator and allow it to sit at room temp for one hour.
- Pat the turkey dry with paper towels to remove any extra moisture.
- Combine the fat and spices in a bowl.
- Rub the spices on the turkey breast and under the skin.
- Place in an aluminum pan and insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the meat. For a milder smoked flavor, cover the turkey breast with foil.
- Place the seasoned meat on the smoker and cook for 30 minutes per pound.
- During the cooking process, brush or spoon the fat over the meat every hour.
- Once the meat reaches 160 degrees, remove from the smoker. The meat will continue to cook after it is removed. This prevents it from overcooking. Keep the turkey covered and allow it to rest for 30 minutes.
- Slice and serve with gravy.
Smoking Wood - Use fruit or nut woods for turkey or kitchen. I like a mix of apple and pecan.
Gluten-Free Pan Gravy - Add the pan juice plus two tablespoons butter to a large pan and heat over medium heat. Once butter is melted, add two cups of chicken or turkey stock. Bring it to a simmer. Add two tablespoons tapioca flour to a bowl with 2 tablespoons of cool water - this is called a slurry. Stir to remove all lumps. Reduce the heat to low and pour in the slurry. Whisk until thicken and remove from heat. Serve over the turkey, on top of mashed potatoes, or just drink it straight from the bowl!
Whole30/Paleo - Use Ghee or Olive Oil in place of the butter.
Save the bones to make a simple bone broth for soups or sipping!
Keywords: how to smoke a turkey, smoked turkey breast, how to smoke a turkey breast